Sunday, February 1, 2009

Yes Honey I actually COOKED!!!

So my husband is out of town 3 weeks out of a month and that means that I normally do not cook. Well for the past month and before that I really didn't cook that much. Well this month my husband and I are trying to be on a budget and that meant no more eating out! :) I know this is going to be really hard for us because for one thing he is used to eating out all of time due to being out of town.

So I am going to try different recipes and this is the place that I will post them and give my review!

Monday - Pasta Bake
  • 4 cups of pasta (any kind) (I used about 6 cups)
  • 1 lb of ground meat (I think I used ALMOST a lb, it was a little under)
  • 1 medium bell pepper chopped
  • 1 medium onion chopped
  • 1 cup of sliced fresh mushrooms
  • 1 big jar of meatless spaghetti sauce
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese (I used whatever cheese was on hand because i forgot to buy Mozzarella cheese)
Directions
Cook pasta according to package. Meanwhile in a large skillet cook the beef, onions, peppers, mushrooms until meat is no longer pink, drain meat and pasta, in the pasta bowl (or seperate bowl) mix together the pasta and meat mixture add spaghetti sauce, and mix in the egg, place in a 13 quart baking dish (well greased) top with cheese and place in an over @ 350 for 20-25 minutes, this makes a good 8-10 servings each, or 6 good servings!

Tuesday - Stir Fry (from Janice)
  • 1 box of frozen pop corn chicken ( or any other kind of chicken you want)
  • 1 regular bag of frozen broccoli (or any other veggie of your choice)
  • 1 regular size onion chopped
  • 1 cup of mushrooms
  • 1 clove or garlic
  • Spices - add any spices that you think would be good with this dish
  • EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
  • 4 servings of rice or more depending upon the size of your family

Cook Rice as directed on box. in a big frying pan or a pan with high sides, poor a little bit of EVOO in it, than add the frozen veggie of your choice. After almost done than add the frozen chicken. Than after a few minutes (after the chicken is no longer frozen) add onion/garlic/mushrooms. cook until all is soft and finished add seasonings all during this process and you are finished. (While cooking, the bottom of your "stir fry pot" will look like it is burned this is normal (i think or atleast this happend 2x with me cooking it) just make sure you add EVOO all during the cooking process, just makes it all cook easier!

After your stir fry is finished get a bowl, put rice down first and than add your stir fry mixture on top and WAA LAA!





Wednesday Meatloaf
This is actually a really good meatloaf recipe! I forgot which blog I stole the recipe from but man oh man it is YUMMIE!!!

  • 1 lb. Hamburger
  • 1 tsp. Salt1 egg
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup instant oats
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1 cup shredded cheese
  • Topping:
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp mustard
  • 2/3 cup ketchup
  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar

Mix together all main ingredients and make into small loaves should make about 6 then pour topping mixture over loaves and bake for 1 hour at 350.

We also had homemade mashed potatoes and corn.

Thursday - Chicken Enchiladas
  • 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) reduced-fat sour cream
  • 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
  • 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
  • 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained (I didn't add olives because both my husband and I do not like olives)
  • 4 cups cubed cooked chicken breast (I just boiled 2 boneless skinless chicken breast and shredded it up and put it in the mixture)
  • 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack or Mexican cheese blend, divided
  • 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
  • 12 fat-free flour tortillas (6 inches), warmed
  • 4 green onions, thinly sliced

In a large bowl, combine the sour cream, soup, chilies and olives. Set aside 1-1/2 cups for topping. Add the chicken, 1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese and 1/2 cup cheddar cheese to remaining soup mixture.
Spoon about 1/3 cup chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla; roll up tightly. Place seam side down in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with reserved soup mixture.
Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheeses; top with onions. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.


I also made Mexican rice/corn to go with it

Friday - (we were bad we ate out :( )

Saturday - Fried Chicken
  • 2 Chicken breast (boneless)
  • 1.5 cups of flour - salt and pepper with a little of garlic salt mixed in
  • Egg wash - 2-3 eggs whisked with milk added
  • Dipped Chicken in egg wash than placed in flour and repeated this all together 2x
  • Fried chicken in about 1/4-1/2 inch oil preheated in a pan
  • Fry until chicken is cooked

My husband actually made this, it was YUMMIE!!! He did an excellent job!

Next time I will try to remember to take pictures before I actually cut into anything! :) I hope you all enjoy! :)

2 comments:

Yaya said...

Cool! Yeah, it's VERY easy to get into the routine of eating out/ordering in, instead of taking the time to plan a menu, have groceries in the house for said meals, etc.
Good for you!

joanofalltrades said...

I am impressed that you cooked for a whole week. I was happy to make 2 successful meals last week. I'd like to get to the point where I can cook every day, but I hate cooking. Thanks for the recipes. Thanks for stopping by my blog.