Wednesday, November 12, 2008

When I was little, I remember...

When I was about 7-9 years old, my mother and I was at our local grocery store. She was talking to an African American man that she used to work with by the meat counter. Now me being young and naive and just plain not knowing that much, I just had to do some testing. Now what you may ask was I testing. I had this theory in my head that if you were to touch an African American person that you would turn that same color. (FYI I do not know why I thought this, but I did, please do not judge me I was a little kid OKAY J ) So to get on with my story, I had one arm on the "edge" of the meat counter, (you know where they keep meat cold, and it is kind of boxed around the meat, well I was swinging or rocking back and forth on that "edge"). And while she was talking to this gentleman, I just had to test this “theory” out. So I do what any 7-9 year old does and starts swinging/rocking with one hand still holding on to the counters edge back and forth trying to touch his hand, but I had to touch it soft so he wouldn’t ever know that I was actually touching his hand. I finally touch it and run off to hide so no one can see me, to see if my hand/fingers ever turn any color, and of course they never did. But I just had to try this more times. You know to see if it will ever work. And nope never did, always failed, (I wonder why LOL).

So this is one of many memories that I remember growing up. More to come! Again please don’t judge!

6 comments:

feather k said...

dork! ha! that story cracked me up when you told me...I never knew about it until our road trip...can't wait til you post the other childhood memories...then I can add more...do the hot tub!!

Sara Coleman said...

LOL Do the hot tub will be my next memory! :)

Trying to Stay Calm! said...

LOL! I ♥ your blog! Thanks for coming to visit mine! ♥ Hugs!

Jennifer said...

Well it's amazing the zany things that kids think/make up! I'm sure I had my fair share of them!

Thanks for stopping by my blog!!

jori-o said...

isn't it so funny to think back on what we thought was SO REAL when we were kids??

Yaya said...

Ha! That is so cute! At the time you probably thought you were being so secretive and he had no idea! Lol!