Monday, November 17, 2008

Check Your Dates....

Me - I know we said we wouldn't do this anymore but what do you want for dinner? And I will go to the store after dinner.
JO - (laughing) well, I was thinking about the $5 pizza and some bread sticks.
Me - We don't need bread sticks, what kind of pizza do you want?


This was my conversation on my way home from work. My husband and I have decided not to eat out as much in hopes of saving money for the holidays! And because I haven't went to the store yet. My husband asked if I wanted him to go with me. I said it was fine thinking nothing of it. And as I am in the grocery store, he wanted to be all up in my "Business", normally that is fine, but I was texting my cousin
Feather and he was wanting to know "What it was about? What I was saying? Who i was texting? Who called? If this is what I normally did when I went to the grocery store?" and asking all kinds of other questions. EUGH, it was driving me CRAZY!!! I guess it is because he doesn't normally go to the store with me, and I don't know what else it could be but tonight it was driving me bonkers! So anyway....
When we got home, I have decided to clean one room a night, (because we are having Thanksgiving at my house this year, and I think that will be a good plan to get the house clean Good Idea?) And because we were going grocery store shopping I figure the Kitchen would be the best place to start. Well every time we go grocery store shopping I clean out the refrigerator, get all the old "to go containers" out of the frig and what not. Well after this I moved to our cabinets where we keep our can/dry box food options. I was checking the expiration dates on everything and OMG we had a lot of items that needed to be thrown out. And I know I haven't checked the expiration dates sense beginning of the summer but MAN, I had something that was in there sense 2007! Isn't that crazy? Like how could I have missed that date before? LOL
So do your family a favor and check the box before you cook it! :) And if your husband hasn't been grocery shopping with you in a long time, and he wants to go, tell him maybe next time LOL!

9 comments:

feather k said...

sorry that I didnt go and you had to take your second choice...

Kimberly said...

Well, since I don't have a husband, I can't tell him "maybe next time." That's sad. :(

Mrs de Miranda said...

oh my goodness maybe i need to check our dates too!!

Thanks for stopping by my blog and showing some love!

Grand Pooba said...

Oh no, you think 2007 is bad? Then I won't tell you that I found a can of food that had expired in 2003. Yes 2003!!!

You can tell I don't clean out my cupboards much. But since then I have gotten a ton better :)

Good luck with Thanksgiving at your house. Are you crazy?

jennykate77 said...

Yeah, that is number one on the wives' list of what-not-to-do...no husband at the grocery store! My bill always sky-rockets! Plus, as you pointed out...they can be quite annoying!

Good idea to clean one room a night! It makes it not seem like so much of a task when you break it down.

Hope you're having a great Tuesday!

Yaya said...

Oh I CAN'T STAND when my husband joins in to my conversations!!! I call him a 'back-seat-talker'.
Have you tried menu planning? You don't have to stick to it religiously (we never do) but it does get us to not eat out/order in quite as much. Or, we have these places here called "Make and Take" (www.makeandtakegourmet.com maybe there is a location by you? or similar type places are popping up all over). They are awesome. You go in, prepare the food, bring it home and have a freezer full of dinners! You might balk at the price the first time you do it but then you'll realize afterwards that it's actually cheap bc you aren't buying the ingredients, planning the recipes OR cleaning up.
I think that's a great idea about cleaning a room each night!

Jennifer said...

Wow, My husband and son always want to go with me.

The Queen of Everything said...

When I would let my husband go with me I came home with a basket of chips, beer, oreos...which he startedon 10 minutes after dinner...I don't miss him...

jen.at.work said...

my hubby is soooooooooo not allowed there with me. Unless he is only there to wrangle the kids and then I send them off to look at more fun things while I get the shopping done.

found you from SITS.